After an afternoon marked with worry and even a little stress, we crossed the border from Wyoming into Montana around dinner time. We didn’t stop to eat this time but made sandwiches in motion as we were anxious to reach Billings before dark. After putting the kids to bed around 8 (remember the sun doesn’t set up here in the Summer time until after 9), Megan and I sat on the couch and enjoyed watching the sun begin to set over a dramatic Montana landscape. The scenery along I-90 is mostly hilly and green and composed of what appeared to be enormous farms lined by miles and miles of fences. As the sun began to set, the farmers drove along their fence rows, dogs enthusiastically chasing behind, obviously inspecting their fences for breaks. The interstate exits, almost all marked with signs that declare, “No services,” seem to be there only as access for the family residing on the roadside farm. Running parallel to the interstate is a swiftly rushing river and alongside it are train tracks. The trees down alongside the banks reveal signs of a flood, perhaps recently, after the Winter snows melted in the Spring. Montana’s beauty is harsh, masculine, and more than a little threatening; yet, the landscape is also somehow inviting. It’s as if Montana says, “Yeah, come on in, but be prepared to suffer just a little.” I thought about all my friends from college who longed for the hard work on Montana ranches every summer and while once questioning their sanity I believed that I finally understood.
Not only was Montana decidedly NOT South Dakota, I felt our luck beginning to change. While playing a game of yahtzee with Megan, I rolled my first “yahtzee” in a half dozen games. When I looked at the miles left to our destination for the first time all day, it was 17, my lucky number. When we rolled into Billings just as the sun started to set the cloudy, red and pink sky was streaked with an enormous rainbow. Feeling my spirits lift, I checked on the kids who were resting in the bedroom. I was secretly hoping they were still awake so they could see the rainbow. When I opened the door, all three were on their elbows watching the sunset and the rainbow from the window. Peace.
We parked for the night a lovely and extremely well-maintained campsite in Billings. Since it was near dark when we arrived, we didn’t have much time to explore. We were all exhausted from a very long and very difficult day. This campsite offered free cable, so we hooked up and turned on the tv for the first time in days to something other than the kids’ once daily Disney movie. I thought about watching the news. While briefly scanning the channels, I caught glimpses of what the cable news networks were reporting…. Results of tests on the crash of the Air France plane over the Atlantic and speculations about Michael Jackson’s death. None of us possessed the constitution to do it. We just couldn’t watch. What was the point? Those were not our troubles… not today anyway. Instead we settled on Fox’s nightly lineup of 90’s sitcoms. We all fell asleep relaxed and worry-free.
Waking around seven, we did some laundry at the campsite before taking off for Missoula, 350 miles away. The drive across Southern Montana becomes more and more beautiful with each passing mile as the hills become mountains and open pastures become rocky, tree covered peaks and valleys. It’s no wonder this area has always been associated with rock climbing. These rocky peaks aren’t sheer cliff faces but what look like enormous boulders stacked on top of each other. The Bozeman area must be a climbers dream.
A few more miles down the road and we really start to climb. By Homestake Pass, we have reached 6,375 feet. At this point, we cross the Continental Divide and try to remember what that means. All we can remember is that it divides the continent into two and rivers on either side will run in opposite directions. I desperately want to look it up on the Internet, but as is the case since St. Louis, there isn’t any service out here. I decide that it’s just as well. If I had internet service, I might be tempted to check out the latest celebrity gossip on tmz.com or all the anxiety triggers on cnn.com. The time free from the musings and opinions of the talking heads on tv has given me more time to think…free from the influence of the 24 hour cable news networks, the world really doesn’t seem that scary after all.
Meanwhile, the kids are being really good and tolerant of all the time spent in the RV. Megan and I pulled out some toys I had kept hidden until now for the girls. They amused themselves with the plastic food and cupcakes for hours today while we enjoyed some time free from the demands of bored kids. Ella clearly needed some privacy today so she set up her kitchen in the toilet room and closed the door. One must be desperate for alone time to close oneself up in there. Aidan was allowed to play Megan’s Wii for a good long time this morning since we were all seeking a little silence. Abby, when not buzzing around like a hornet, was quiet and fairly serene… for Abby. It wasn’t until we began to approach the mountains did I request that the kids sit and pay attention. Aidan had a great time with the map during Abby and Ella’s nap. He sat on the couch and looked for mile markers and exits as well as elevations of mountain peaks. He was a little disappointed to discover that we were passing so closely to Yellowstone but not stopping. After the Black Hills yesterday, we are just too afraid of the winding, narrow, mountain passes in this big rig. He got over his disappointment when I revealed to him that we would be camping at another Jellystone tonight.
Tomorrow is the 4th of July which poses a few challenges. We will have to decide tonight what to do about tomorrow. Only 3 hours from Coeur d’Alene, ID, we would love to head straight there in the morning to join my friend Sara for the holiday. Unfortunately, Cd’A being THE tourist destination of the area means that there are NO campsites available throughout the holiday weekend. We are thinking of dry camping in a parking lot, but that isn’t much fun. We may just have to pass some time in Missoula before continuing Westward. If you have to be stuck somewhere with your kids for a couple of days, I can think of worse places than a Jellystone campground in Missoula, MT, that is planning a big Fourth of July celebration for its Junior Campers; however, the grown ups in this rig are about ready for a restaurant meal and a proper night out. Until then, Jellystone it is.
Another full day. I am so jealous of all that you are seeing. I don't want to be in a RV.... well.. maybe ride in one, but campgrounds are definitely out. However, I love to ride and watch scenery and the sunset and the rainbow would be sooooo nice to see! Love to all, MOM
ReplyDelete