Sunday, July 5, 2009

The beginning of the (first) end

Leaving the road less traveled for a road more familiar, we are feeling some mixed emotions. As we crossed the Snoqualmie Pass today we left behind the excitement of the unknown for the ease and comfort of the known… Seattle, Bellingham, Victoria. Although we have another week in the RV ahead of us on the return trip, I can’t help but think it won’t quite carry the same feeling of accomplishment as this one has. This, the maiden voyage, was full of challenges but knowing that we were “in this together” kept the stresses of the road from getting to us. There were close to no short remarks and not a single argument. Will we still see the adventure in all of this when we turn around and head for home?

 Until then, we have a lot of time in Victoria to relax and unwind in very familiar territory, even Megan has been there already. No need for maps. We know where to eat. The anticipation of seeing friends and family is growing as I can sense that Brent is a little more eager than before to just get there. We skipped the Cascade Loop today, opting instead for I-90 straight into Seattle… fewer challenges and half the time.

 This morning Abby declared that she was ready to go home. I hardly believed that since she has been so excited about seeing Grandpa. When I pressed her, she cried and said, “I just want a bath.” I assured her that Grandpa has bathtubs at his house and that she doesn’t have to have another shower for 2 weeks. It’s funny the things that are important to kids. I guess she just wants a sense of familiarity and routine.

 The Wenatchee Mountains are on our right and the Cascades lie ahead. It’s a strikingly beautiful part of the world, but it’s familiarity is takes away the sense of wonder. Patches of snow are still clinging to the craggy peaks around us. A large lake is to our left. We can see clearly the ski runs that probably closed only two months ago. The valleys here are deep and a lush, dark green. The mountains here are “new.” They rise dramatically to the highest peaks we have seen on our trip West and we are almost over them. Relatively speaking, the Pacific Ocean is just on the other side. Each new mountain pass on the road behind us made me nervous. I took pictures. I got sweaty palms…. Not this time.

 Soon, we will be in Seattle and then Bellingham for the night. It may not be new, but at least I know where to find a Starbucks and we can give the Garmin a rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment