Monday, July 6, 2009

Next stop:Vancouver Island

We woke up this morning to a dramatic change in the weather. Last night we turned off the AC and slept with the windows open. When the kids woke us at 7:30, no one wanted to get out from under the covers. I jumped out of bed and started closing windows. The sky was completely overcast and it was about 55 degrees. Once dressed in proper Northwest attire, the crisp and cool morning felt absolutely wonderful.  Yesterday, we had our geographic and topographical welcome “home,” and today it was the weather. Welcome to the Pacific Northwest. Hope you brought closed toe shoes.

 Abby has been composing a new song or two each day of the trip. Yesterday the lyrics said something about “Ella scared the hippopotamus.” Today she is singing about meeting Grandpa on the boat. These songs are utterly hilarious. The poor thing couldn’t carry a tune in a bucket. She is probably tone deaf like her mother, but she is loaded with confidence.

 Abby was practicing one of her compositions as we pulled up to the Canadian border around 9 this morning. The RV had mere inches on either side as we approached the checkpoint. As Brent worked up a sweat trying not to knock off a mirror, I got the passports ready for inspection. The border agent looked on incredulously as I explained that we had indeed driven from Tennessee with three kids. She asked if we were planning to also drive back. When I told her we were, she looked even more confused and just waved us on through to Canada.

Now on the road to the ferry, we have reservations for the 1:00 p.m. sailing, but with any luck, we’ll get on the 11:00 a.m. In unison, Brent and I read the sign “11:00 sailing 33% full.” I can’t wait to see how we maneuver this rig on Vancouver Island. 

2 comments:

  1. We missed you guys on Saturday, but it looks like you're on a great adventure! Dad sent me the link this morning after your mom had sent it to him. I am looking forward to reading about your fun!

    -Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Abby distracted the border guard and the RV drove across the border with no trouble at all. Way to go, Abby!

    Happy

    ReplyDelete